Gender-Inclusive Housing Options
University Housing aims to provide a safe, welcoming home for students of all backgrounds and identities. Read our inclusiveness statement. We are eager to help you find a community!
Finding Your Home
While there is a lot of information on this site about your living options, we know that speaking directly to staff can sometimes be the best way to make a decision. To explore options in University Housing that accommodate your gender identity or gender expression, please contact the Housing Information Office at (217) 333-7111 or email@example.com.
Undergraduate residence hall options may include:
- Gender-inclusive wing in Allen Hall: This community, located in Allen 1 North, offers in-room coed (any gender may live in the same room), and the Allen 1 North wing bathroom is a gender-inclusive bathroom. Individuals of any gender or gender identity will use the same bathroom at the same time.
- Wassaja Hall has two clusters of gender-inclusive rooms that allow in-room coed. All bathrooms in the building are individual use.
- All of PAR is coed by door (male rooms next to female rooms). Additionally, all of PAR offers in-room coed options and multiple individual-use bathrooms on each floor.
- Townsend Hall offers in-room coed options and multiple individual-use bathrooms on each floor.
- Nugent Hall offers single or double rooms with individual-use bathrooms in close proximity.
- Most residence halls are set up with single or double rooms with gender-designated bathrooms on the floor.
- Single or double suites with attached gender-inclusive bathroom can be found in Bousfield Hall (upper-division students only).
Please note: The Rooms page in the housing contract portal details specifically which rooms are designated as in-room coed.
Graduate upper-division residence hall options may include:
- Single or double rooms with an attached bathroom (shared with another single or double room)
- Single or double rooms with a private bath
Apartment assignments may include:
- One-bedroom apartment with a kitchen and private bath
- Two-bedroom apartment with a kitchen and shared bath
LGBTQ Resources and Support
In-Hall Staff Support
Once you have moved in, your Resident Advisor (RA) is a great person to turn to for advice, support, and questions. Each hall also has a student working as a Multicultural Advocate (MA) — these students create programs and education specifically around inclusion, and they are available for students seeking support. Your Resident Director (RD) is a professional staff member who oversees the administration and activities of your hall and supervises the RA staff. Your RD lives in an apartment in your building.
Within University Housing there are several active hall-based and area-based LGBT organizations. Check with your Resident Director, Resident Advisor, or Multicultural Advocate to connect with your nearest group.
Campus LGBT Resource Center
We encourage you to connect with the campus LGBT Resource Center.