Honors Living-Learning Community
About Honors LLC
The Honors Living-Learning Community is on Nugent Hall floors 3, 4, and 5. Designed specifically for James Scholars and Campus Honors Program students, this community offers special interdisciplinary courses, allowing Honors LLC residents greater interaction with Honors faculty. Curricular and co-curricular aspects of the LLC are designed around the LLC’s three pillars: Inquiry, Civic Engagement and Leadership.
Current students may choose the Honors LLC during Housing Sign-Up.
New, incoming students may choose the Honors LLC if available spaces remain during new student Room Selection.
- Students in this community must be a James Scholar or part of the Campus Honors Program.
- To enhance the interdisciplinary nature of this LLC, the community will be made of the following: 50% of spaces will go to students from the larger colleges (i.e., LAS, Engineering), and 50% of spaces will go to students from the smaller colleges (i.e., FAA, Applied Health Sciences).
- The community is made up of 50% returning students and 50% first-year students.
- First-year Honors LLC students take a one-credit-hour course. This course introduces students to the Honors Living-Learning Community, their fellow Honors LLC students, and Honors programs at the University of Illinois.
- Each student's college and honors status will be in our database— so when you are in the process of choosing a room, you will see any available Honors LLC rooms for which you qualify.
- If you are a James Scholar or part of the Campus Honors Program but do not see any Honors LLC spaces available in our system, one of the following has likely occurred: we have filled all available spaces for your class type (returning student or first-year student), we have filled all available spaces for your college type (large or small), or the whole LLC has filled.
Honors LLC Orientation for 2019 will occur Tuesday, August 20 through Thursday, August 22. The Orientation program is an optional opportunity for Honors LLC residents to move in early, participate in fun and exciting activities, and get to know your new home and campus. Orientation will be something you won’t want to miss as it is usually one of the best of times for first year students in living learning communities. For a small fee that covers early arrival housing and your meals, you will be some of the first students on campus, making friends, and building connections with future faculty.
Check back in late Spring 2019 for information on how to register.
Professional Head Shots
We will be taking professional headshots of all Honors students within the first three weeks of classes. You will want to make sure that you have business professional attire to wear for the photos. These pictures will be available to you to use for Portfolios, professional web presence, internship and career searches etc.
Every spring students have the opportunity to enroll in an 8 week course that includes a 10 day abroad component. Honors will be embarking on an adventure to Costa Rica (winter break) and London & Paris (spring break). The course for Costa Rica is Culture, Society, & Health, and London & Paris is Culture, Society, and the Arts. These courses are an additional fee. Applications will begin in July.
The required Honors Course for all Honors LLC students will be offered this fall in five different sections. Your ability to maintain Honors LLC resident status is contingent upon you completing this course, so make sure you enroll.
See the rates for 2019-2020 to live in Nugent Hall.
Honors LLC residents pay an additional fee of $300 for the academic year to support the co-curricular and extracurricular learning opportunities offered in this community.
If you have any questions about Honors, contact the Program Director Dr. Brian Moffitt at (217) 300-0275 or email@example.com.